Friday, July 15, 2011

My weakness - God's strengh.

Weakness. The world tells us that we should not be weak. That we should stand tall with our head held high at all times. The world tells us that we must not show weakness. To show weakness, even for a moment, is a sign of failure. The world tells us that weak people will never win at life. If we are week, the world tells us that we must overcome our weakness on our own. We must rise above it by our own boot straps. If we are week, the world tells us that we must hide it. Others must not know that we are weak. The world says they will look down on us. See us as lesser beings. The world says allot of things. But I know the one who is in the world. The one who roams back and forth through it. The one whom is like a lion seeking whom he may devour. The one who comes only to steal, kill and destroy. This beast has a name: Satan. He who is the father of lies.

This worldly view of weakness is in direct contrast to what the bible has to say about weakness. The following is from one of my favorite portions of the bible, 2 Kings 6:8-19 with the focus on verses 15 though 17. The passage is as follows:

8 Now the king of Aram was at war with Israel. After conferring with his officers, he said, “I will set up my camp in such and such a place.”
 9 The man of God sent word to the king of Israel: “Beware of passing that place, because the Arameans are going down there.” 10 So the king of Israel checked on the place indicated by the man of God. Time and again Elisha warned the king, so that he was on his guard in such places.
 11 This enraged the king of Aram. He summoned his officers and demanded of them, “Tell me! Which of us is on the side of the king of Israel?”
 12 “None of us, my lord the king,” said one of his officers, “but Elisha, the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom.”
 13 “Go, find out where he is,” the king ordered, “so I can send men and capture him.” The report came back: “He is in Dothan.” 14 Then he sent horses and chariots and a strong force there. They went by night and surrounded the city.
 15 When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?” the servant asked.
 16 “Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”
 17 And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, LORD, so that he may see.” Then the LORD opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.
 18 As the enemy came down toward him, Elisha prayed to the LORD, “Strike this army with blindness.” So he struck them with blindness, as Elisha had asked.
 19 Elisha told them, “This is not the road and this is not the city. Follow me, and I will lead you to the man you are looking for.” And he led them to Samaria.

I often feel like the servant in verse 15. I look out before me and see Satan's vast army surrounding me. From a distance, Satan calls to me. He reminds me of my weaknesses. He reminds me of my sin, of how I often loose my focus on God. I loose my focus on God and his will for my life and seek to do things my own way. He reminds me of how I often seek after my own selfish desires. That instead of using the blessings God has given me and using them for His glory, I use them for my own. He reminds me of how I often feel crushed because of my weakness and frailty. When I am in despair, how I am reduced to tears and fall on my face trembling. He then tells me that there is no hope for me. That I will always feel this way. He tells me that it is futile to fight him, to stand against him. That I am all alone in my struggle. He tells me that I should surrender to him. That he has so much more to offer me. He reminds me of my past and the things I used to chase. The pleasure and the lust that I so dearly held on too. He shows me all the things he has to offer. The wealth, the power, the pleasure, the things in life that I don't have and should strive to obtain. He presses closer; his army draws near. I cry out. Lord! What shale I do?

I hear his answer. It is not far off. It is very near, right next to me. His voice so sweet, so soothing. Clam despite the storm around me. Jesus says to me: "Do not be afraid, for greater are the ones who are with us than those who are with them."

My eyes are opened. I look to the hills and see where my help comes from. I see a vast army of flaming chariots and horses; frighting in their power, majestic in their beauty. My fear leaves me. I wipe the tears from my eyes and stand next to my Lord and Savior. I watch as the giants cower in fear and terror before the armies of the Living God. They trip over themselves in their haste to flee before His presence. I hear Satan's voice over the din, saying he will return. I am not shaken.

I am now beginning to understand what Paul is talking about in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 where Paul talks about the thorn in his flesh. I could ask God to take this weakness from me. This brokenness that brings me to my knees. But why? It is this brokenness that reminds me of my flesh and my frailties. That I cannot make it through this life alone. That I am in need of a Lord and Savior. One who will light up my sky to show me that He is with me. One who gives me strength when I am weak, for His power is made perfect in this weakness. This weakness brings my focus back to God, and I am brought to a place where I realize that when I am week, then I am strong.

Oh Lord, I thank you for this brokenness. That you use it to bring me back to you, when I have lost my focus and my way. Lord, help me keep my focus on you. To use the blessings that you have so richly lavished on me for your glory. To live my life according to your purposes and your will for my life. Lord I thank you that you open my eyes so that I can see you all around me. You are my fortress, my strength. My rock; the chief cornerstone upon which the foundation of my life is laid. Lord, all around me is sinking sand. This world and the things in this world are temporal. They will pass away. But you, oh Lord. You will never fade. In you I place my trust. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment