Friday, July 22, 2011

Identity Crisis

Who or what is my identity? Who or what gives me value? Is it my car? Is it my apartment? Is it my job? Is it how much money is in my checking account? Is it the cloths that I ware? Is it my body? Is it my life? Is it the people in my life? My family? My friends? The church I attend? The bible study that I am apart of?

What do all of the things mentioned above have in common? One thing: they are temporal. These are things that, in a moment, a blink of an eye, can be taken away from you. One moment there, the next, gone. If my identity, my value, was found in one of the things above, what would happen if it was taken away? Where, then, would be my value, my identity? Take a the game of monopoly for example. In the context of the game, the money has value. Its identity is found in the game. But take away the game board and the game pieces. What value does the monopoly money have now? None. Zero. Zip. Ziltch. It has been reduced to nothing more than colored sheets of paper with ink on it.

Our culture is facing an identity crisis. It has placed its value in the things mentioned above, the temporal things. Things that do not last and can quickly vanish. What will happen when these things are gone? Where then will be their value? Many who have experienced the loss of these things have have been absolutely crushed and devastated. Their hopes and dreams gone, dashed on the rocks.

Who or what is my identity? Who or what gives me value? It is none of those things mentioned above. It is not found in something temporal that can be taken from me. My identity, my value, is found in the one who is the rock. The rock that is unshakable, unmovable. The chief cornerstone. Jesus Christ. My savior. My lord. My God.

No comments:

Post a Comment