Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The brevity of life

A six inning shutout, the pitcher was on fire. The next day, struck by a drunk driver; killed. This is a true story. This man, on top of the world one day; the next day, gone. His life, taken away in the blink of an eye.

James 4:13-15: "Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.'"

Twenty two years have gone by in a blur. It seems life goes by like trees that I pass by on the express way. Life's a lead foot on the excelerator, causing each day to go by faster than the last. James puts it so well: "You are but a mist that appears for a little while then vanishes". I am but a blip on God's radar screen.

Life is too short to live with regrets. I can honestly look back at my life thus far and say that I have no regrets. I'm not perfect. I know I've made mistakes. I have my fair share of skeletons in the closet. But if I could, I wouldn't change a thing. I see now how the seemingly random events in my life have lead me to where I am now. To change anything about my past, even my mistakes, would certainly effect were I am today. I would not be the man I am today if not for those past events. God has used those events to shape me and mold me, and I pray that He continues to do so. He is the potter, I am the clay. My life is in His awesome, powerful, and capable hands. Life is too short to be lived any other way.

1 comment:

  1. i understand the no regrets thing. there are things, of course, i woulda done differently, but had i not done them i wouldn't be where i am today. Had i not run off to onio, i wouldn't've been looking for a new group of friends, i wouldn't've gone to swing, and i def wouldn't've met drew as easily :D

    thanks ben for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete