Monday, February 27, 2012

The Lord is the stronghold of my life

Fear. Being afraid. Sometimes I am afraid. Afraid that I won't get everything done that needs to be done. Afraid of letting someone down. Afraid of not having the right words to say. Afraid of the words I do say coming out wrong. Afraid of the future. Afraid of how things might turn out. Afraid of what might be and what might not be. Sometimes I am afraid.

Fear. Being afraid. It's overwhelming. Everything seems to be coming at me all at once. It's like an army putting a castle under siege. The enemy surrounds the castle, starving its inhabitants. Those within the castle begin to fear. They begin to fear, and the fear turns to dread. The dread turns into despair, and the despair, hopelessness. It's like a ship being tossed about in the waves during a fearsome tempest. The rain pores down; cold wind saps the crew's strength. It's like falling down a never ending pit within nothing to stop the fall. Tumbling, falling. Down. Down. Down...

Fear. Being afraid. But what is there to fear? Of what is there to be afraid of? A voice calls out amidst the darkness. Amidst the sound of the approaching army. Amidst the sound of the crashing waves: "Be not afraid, for I am with you," Says the Lord. "Nothing shale snatch you from my hand." The inhabitants of the castle look up, and see a legion of flaming chariots surrounding them, driving away the enemy. The storm breaks and the waves calm; sunlight breaks through the night. A hand reaches out and catches the one falling.

Fear. I shale not be afraid. For the Lord is my light and my salvation. The Lord is the stronghold of my life. Though I am besieged by an army, and my enemies surround me, my heart shale not fear. My heart shale not fear, and I stand in confidence. I stand in confidence on the Rock. The Rock, my stronghold, my deliverance.

Fear. I shale not be afraid. For my Lord is with me. Never will He leave me, nor will He forsake me. He is always near.

"The LORD is my light and my salvation—
   whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
   of whom shall I be afraid?
When evil men advance against me
   to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
   they will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
   my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
   even then will I be confident."

Psalms 27:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment