Friday, October 21, 2011

The burden is light

"'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.'" Matthew 11:28-30

"My yoke is easy and my burden is light"... What amazing words! Yes, living life for Christ can be hard, but it's not meant to be a burden. What does that mean? One of the things I have been learning recently is what is my purpose in life. I used to think that my purpose was to ensure that I was doing the right things. That I was reaching out to people and talking about Christ. If I wasn't doing that, then I felt I was doing something wrong. I felt that unless I saw someone come to Christ as the result of my actions or my words at some point in my life, then I was doing something wrong. I felt like I needed to be doing more, like I wasn't doing enough. I felt like it was all about me and the responsibility of bringing someone to Christ fell on my shoulders. I was carrying a burden. A burden I didn't need to carry. My head knew that my righteous acts were as filthy rags in God's eyes, and I could do nothing without Christ, but my heart didn't get it. My purpose in life is not to make sure I'm doing the right things, it's simply to let God work through me. God is the one who changes the hearts and lives of people. God is the one who judges. God is the one who judges man, weighs their motives, knows their hearts. I can't change people. I can't change how people think. I can't change what people believe. I can't change a person's heart. That's what God does. But I can let Him use me. I can let Him speak through me. I can let Him shine His light through me. I can let Him work through me. Knowing that brings so much  freedom! The burden has been lifted! I am free to simply live for Christ! Hallelujah!

Lord, I thank you that it's not about me. It's all about you. You are the one who changes the hearts and lives of man. You are the one who causes the seed to grow. You are the one who works through me to impact the lives of the people you have placed around me. You are the one. It's all about you. Thank you God for choosing to use me. You chose to use me even though I am naught but a wretch. You chose to use me despite all my failures and short comings. You chose me even though I would not have chosen you. Thank you Lord. All praise and thanks belong to you. Hallelujah! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment